Matrimonial Mishaps and Musings

Monday, February 16, 2009

Wedding Vows

My husband and I are going to Vegas at the end of March to renew our vows. It's a few months from our 5 year anniversary but it suited our work schedules to do it March rather than July, which is our actual anniversary. I am going to document my vows as I work on them and perfect them for the ceremony.

Enjoy!

1st entry: (my original wedding vows)
When you proposed marriage to be, you said that I have given you the most precious gift in the world, and that your only hope was that you could give something so priceless back to me.

You have already done that. You have put our family before everything else and because of that my love, admiration, and respect for you have become immeasurable. We have come down a long road together, and though the journey hasn't always been smooth it has always been worth it.

As we continue together, I want you to know that whether you are in your finest hour, or having your weakest moment, I am with you. Never above you, never below you, but always beside you. Know that I will love you, honor you and support you, that I will keep all of your secrets and share all of your dreams. Trust that I will listen first, and speak second. That I will remember that every day is precious and never take your love, or the life we have created together for granted. And while I cannot promise you perfection, I can promise that I will be true to myself and therefore true to you and the vows I have taken today as your friend, as your love, and as your wife.

Second Entry:
March 15, 2009 6:02pm

These are some lines, words and phrases that I would like to use. I have thought of some of them, some are lines from songs.

I swear that I will always be there

When I look back over the years since we’ve been married

It’s always better when we are together

I push just to see how far I can

Just kissing you has the ability to bring tears to my eyes

I sleep just to dream you

I have learned so many things for you about love, patience, acceptance, and letting go

I could never love you more than I already do

We have grown so much over the last seven years

It’s hard to believe that we’ve made it here

I gave my heart to you many years ago

You’re the one true thing I know I can believe in

I know that I am not an easy person to live with

I am stubborn as hell

You are not traditional in the ways that you show love, and this took some getting used to.

I have learned to look below the surface at the gestures you make, and I have come to recognize your gestures of love.

You have supported me for many years through a lot different things

Don’t give up on us

Marriage goes through many cycles

Goals, Dreams, Ambition, Fun, Love, Time, Together, No matter what

“I can’t help falling in love with you” (our wedding song)

From the day you gave me my first mixed tape

Through the birth of our two beautiful girls

Timeless

I will continue to grow

I will try to relax and appreciate my family more

I will make more time for you and our girls

I will remember that sometimes it does pay to take 5more minutes to enjoy something

I will not make dirty dishes an earth shattering event

I will continue to stay true to myself

We came so very close to calling it quits a few months ago-during that time I felt you were the most honest with me you have ever been. You seemed so vulnerable.

You shared my cancer scare with me-I was so terrified that I would never see you our girls again.

We need to work on forgiveness-of one another’s short comings. Of one another’s mistakes.

You are hilarious!

You make me think, you challenge me.

You compliment me better than I ever thought possible

Today I accept this ring as an everlasting symbol of my commitment to you and to us.

I cannot wait to see what the future holds for us

Third Entry
March 19, 2009, 12:34 pm-1:34 pm

My renewal vows are harder to write than I thought they would be. I have so many things to say and I don’t want to be overly cheesy. It works best for me when I begin writing and get something down, then go back and re-read it. I have to do this re-reading part at least a thousand times and then I start to get where I want.

First attempt:
Steve, over the last 5 years I have come to love and appreciate you more than I ever thought it possible to love and appreciate someone.
I push just to see how far I can and you never budge. You provide me with unending support. I have learned so many things from you about love, patience, acceptance and letting go.

March 19, 2009, 7:17pm-9:00pm

Second attempt:
Well here we are, 5 years later, and as I promised we are in Vegas getting married by Elvis.
Our marriage has been a challenging journey. We came together as a couple that was already enduring many stresses, and over the years our relationship has continued to overcome many obstacles. We have withstood challenges that should have crumpled our relationship and we did so by believing in each other and in our marriage.

I am stubborn as hell and sometimes I push just to see how far I can. But you never waiver, you allow me time and space and provide me with constant support. I have learned a great deal from you, about love, patience, acceptance, and letting go.

As we move forward I promise to try to relax and appreciate our family more, I will continue to grow, I will try to remember that sometimes it does pay to take an extra 5 minutes to enjoy something and that dirty dishes are not an earth shattering event.

Today, at this moment, I want to recommit myself to you and our marriage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home