Matrimonial Mishaps and Musings

Monday, October 13, 2008

It cannot hurt to ask

Getting the dress....that's one of the most exciting parts of planning a wedding. If you order your dress it takes about 4 months to come in. Then you are looking at another 4-6 weeks for alterations/fittings, depending on what needs to be done. One of by brides is getting married in January and as of early last week- still did not have a dress. It was not for lack of trying mind you, our first several attempts did not yield the "wow" look on her face. I insist on that face when I help my brides with thier dresses. You may only wear it for a few hours, but they are some of the most important hours of your life. Anyway, we finally hit a stroke of luck and great timing. She called me and told me about this dress that "she had to have". I looked it up on the designer's website and contacted a local store where that dress was said to be carried. The lady I spoke with said it would take 4 months to come in but that if my bride could fit a size 4, they had one in the warehouse that she could purchase. I called the bride right away and told her that she had an appointment early that afternoon to try a size 4 dress. She called me back later that day and said it was a perfect fit and her dress (the one in the warehouse) would be here at the end of November. PERFECT!! Except last week the store called her to tell her that it would be the end of December and that the dress in the warehouse had a longer train than they originally thought. She would need to pay an additional $250.00 for that one, or order a new dress. The bride and I both agreed that since it was not her fault that the dress had a longer train than the store thought she should not have to pay the additional fee. I called the store and asked, "can we reduce or eliminate this fee?" The lady I spoke with said she would look into it and call me back. Sure enough, she called me about an hour later and said she got the price down to only $100.00 extra. SOLD!! The bride was happy and so was I. The point is, don't be afraid to ask for what you want or feel is fair. You may be surprised who agrees with you and is willing to help you out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home